The River Valley Free School is a community-run skills sharing group based in Edmonton. It’s a way to find the hidden talents among us, connect people together, and learn skills that can make life better and more beautiful. The magic works like this:
- The Free School is a way to share our skills and learn from each other. If there’s something you want to learn, you should check in out.
- That sounds cool, I’ll come. Who teaches?
- We teach each other. What about you, would could you teach?
- Maybe but what would I teach?
And then we’re hooked. Biology students who also cook with bugs. Construction workers who crochet. Secret kombucha masters, stewards of sourdough starters… this is what makes Edmonton great. (Hint: we all do!)
The Free School has been active since early 2016 uncovering skills one wonderful human at a time. We have hosted many workshops including welding, weaving, salve-making, kimchi-making, grass basketry, ginger beer making, and clay paint and plastering, taekwondo, knot tying, willow basketry, vegan cooking and a reconciliation workshop co-hosted with facilitators from Saddle Lake Cree Nation.
What do you enjoy doing? Please share that skill with us – most of our teachers have never taught before and we all have a great time.
Our workshops take place in various locations around Edmonton – mostly people offering space in their homes. Would you like to be on our list?
The Free School does not charge for lessons, only occasionally requesting donations to cover materials (we try to keep this cost under $10).
What makes a great workshop?
- -Something we can learn a basic version of in 2-10 hours
- -Something with materials that are easy to make, find or borrow
- -Something you find useful, beautiful, or fun
- -Often, something that is tricky or expensive to learn elsewhere
Current Stewards: Jess, Heather, Moni
We would love for you to share our Poster! PosterRVFSFeb212017
Contact us at email@example.com to get involved, and see what we need here
#rivervalleyfreeschool on instagram or find us on facebook River Valley Free School